Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Autobiography- Mr. Bollman

Lead:
To most the hayfields and silos of southeastern Iowa looked quite mundane but to Brant Bollman it was a land of imagination- where a young boy could dream of dragons and adventure- when anything was possible and dreams were as big as drive-in movie screens.

Transition:
Bollman grew up on a 200-acre farm of rolling hills and alfalfa fields where his father raised pure-bred Angus cattle. But to Brant, the farm was a starting place for many adventures.

Human Context:
“I read a lot of fantasy books back in those days- Tolkien and Piers Anthony mainly, but my biggest fantasy came after the story was finished. I used to go out into the hayfields, climb atop a big round bale of hay and daydream my own tales in the orange glow of the Iowa sun.”

Transition:
Bollman attended the University of Iowa and received a BFA in Fine Arts. He studied abstract painting, sculpture and worked on some pioneering digital imaging projects using the new media of the 1990’s.

Quote:
“I created my imaginary world, not in a hayfield but in my studio. My dreams took shape with bright liquid colors, cartoon creatures and never ending stories.”
Conclusion:
Today Bollman teaches students at a school not far from the hayfields where he once daydreamed. At North Mahasha Community Schools he teaches K-12, painting, drawing and graphic design.

“My hope is to keep these kids dreaming, to expand their minds and teach them that imagination is the greatest adventure of all.”

No comments: